Chronicles of Raivyne, Rogue of Thunderhorn

Written by a slightly whacky (i'm not nutso, the dr said so!) rogue. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with me. IRL I'm very mild mannered... like Clark Kent.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Holy, FREEEEEEEEEE RESPEC!!!! Batman!

16/35/0

The Breakdown:

Assassination Talents – 16 pts
Improved Eviscerate – 3/3 (+15% damage to Eviscerate)
Malice – 5/5 (+5% to crit)
Murder – 2/2 (+2% (all) damage to Humanoids, Giants, Dragonkin…)
Relentless Strikes – 1/1 (20% chance per combo point to resore 25 energy on finishers)
Lethality – 5/5 (+30% crit damage for Sinister Strike*)
*yes there are more, but they don’t concern me…

Combat Talents – 35 pts
Improved Gouge – 3/3 (Increases the duration of gouge by 1.5seconds)
Improved Sinister Strike – 2/2 (Decreases the energy cost of Sinister Strike by 5)
Deflection – 5/5 (+5% chance to parry)
Riposte – 1/1 (Deals 150% weapon damage and disarms the opponent for 6 seconds)
Precision – 5/5 (+5% chance to hit)
Endurance – 2/2 (Decreases the cool down of Sprint and Evasion by 1.5 minutes)
Improved Sprint – 2/2 (100% chance to remove movement impairing effects when sprint is activated)
Dual Wield Specialization – 5/5 (Increases the damage of your OH weapon by 50%)
Blade Flurry – 1/1 (Increases attack speed by 20%; attacks hit up to other 2 nearby enemies – lasts 15 seconds)
Sword Specialization – 5/5 (5% chance to gain an extra attack)
Weapon Expertise – 2/2 (+5 to weapon skill)
Aggression – 1/3 (+2% damage to Sinister Strike and Eviscerate)
Adrenaline Rush – 1/1 (+100% energy regeneration for 15 seconds)

What I changed…
Assassination Tree: Picked up 2 pts in murder and dropped 3 in Ruthlessness.

Why? Ruthlessness was a 60% chance to award a combo point after a finisher… Murder ALWAYS does 2% more damage…

Murder Math
Assume – SS = 500 damage/1000 crit
Assume – 5 pt Evis – 1000/2000 crit
Assume – 15 SS + 3 – 5 pt Evis per minute (ideal conditions)
Assume – 25% crit chance

Average SS damage over 100 hits = 625
Average Evis damage over 20 hits = 1250

SS damage over 1 min = 9375 (625*15)
Evis damage over 1 min = 3750 (1250*3)

Average SS damage with Murder = 637.5
Average Evis damage with Murder = 1275

SS damage over 1 min with Murder = 9562.5 (637.5*15)
Evis damage over 1 min with Murder = 3825 (1275*3)

The difference:
1 min damage without murder = 13,125
1 min damage with murder = 13,387.5

That’s 262.5 more damage in one minute with murder than without which = @ 4.38 DPS

Gamebreaking?

Nope, but I doubt the math for 1 to 2 extra combo point(s) per minute (based on 60% chance and 3 finishers a min) comes close to that…

AND I saved a point with Murder…

Combat Tree: Dumped Improved Kick for Endurance. Dumped 2 pts of Aggression for Weapon Expertise. Last but not least… with my extra point from dropping Ruthlessness and my spare point I always have with a combat build I took Improved Sprint.

Why? Endurance > Improved Kick IMO for PvE or PvP. I really only took the 2 pts from Aggression for lack of anything better to dump. Lastly… Improved Sprint rocks! That is all.

Seriously though, I dumped some damage ability for some PvP talents, so I could play with them. They were just too tempting to resist…

All in all this is a nice little spec. I saw some decent improvement in damage from 1.11 to 1.12, despite dropping 2 points of aggression. What can I say? I love the combat tree almost as much as I <3 my swords!

5 Comments:

Blogger Hexa said...

Interesting build... previously I had a
15/31/5 build.. combat swords slightly adapted for stealth runs etc. the 5 pts was in MOD.. I've been longing to return to a combat spec (now doing 31/8/12) but because of PVP I've stayed away. Never did any goood with combat in pvp =/

4:32 PM  
Blogger Raivyne said...

i own pretty well in PvP with a combat spec. its actually what made me love the tree so much.

plus i don't need MoD... i have +18 to stealth with gear/enchants/racial bonus.

I've actually since dropped Endurance to fill out Aggression. More on that later though :P~

also in BG i find that if i get jumped by another rogue for, oh say 1/2 my health... i can almost always come back and kill him before he gets me - unless he locks me down from 100 to 0.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What should a lower lvl rogue do for leveling? I was sword spec before the patch, but haven't really looked into the new talents that much...

3:47 AM  
Blogger Hexa said...

I recommend going combat (swords) for a levelling rogue.. especially if you solo grind alot.

Get the 5 crit in assassination, then fill up the combat tree and then continue with the assassination tree.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Raivyne said...

Actually i find loads of AP better than crit for a combat sword spec. Don't get me wrong, crit is nice, but especially at lower levels where crit gear is scarce fill up on AP. Steady DPS is good.

combat swords is the best leveling spec there is. I would get Imp Evis and get to Dual Weild Spec as soon as possible.

Just my personal preferences... many would disagree with me

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home